Professional Licensure Digital Signing and Sealing
FDOT is now utilizing PKI based digital signatures for signing and sealing electronically produced plan sets and other documents requiring professional signature.
Laws & Rules set by the Florida Board of Professional Engineers in Florida Statutes 471 and as implemented in Florida Administrative Code 61G15-23 allow Florida Professionally Registered Engineers to use digital signature for signing and sealing documents that are delivered electronically. Other professions are directed to their respective Boards of Professional Regulation for rules concerning the use of digital signature. The digital certificates can be purchased from IdenTrust Services, LLC using the links below. Both FDOT staff and consultants can purchase the digital certificates from IdenTrust. Consultants will be responsible for purchasing their own certificates. Signatories may utilize Adobe Acrobat 9 (or newer), Bluebeam 10 (or newer), or other equivalent software as the signing solution to place the seal and digital signature in PDF files and recommend consultants use the same for consistent, predictable and repeatable (CPR) results.
FDOT recognizes the need for entities, citizens, and public employees to interoperate with the department for the purpose of conducting business electronically. The agency will be using IdenTrust Services to provide such persons and entities with X.509 v.3 Digital Certificates. The digital certificates will be managed and controlled by IdenTrust Services as part of the IdenTrust Global Common (IGC) certificate program. IdenTrust Services, LLC will supply Certification Authority (CA) service to entities and citizens located within or desiring to interface with the department in a Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).
- IdenTrust digital certificates are NIST Level 3 assurance for verifying your identity.
- IdenTrust digital certificates can support images of signatures or seals and instructions are included under "Related Content" on the right side of this page.
IdenTrust digital certificates can be applied using PDF software (purchased separately).
Choosing Your Certificate
- Offered in IGC Agencies | Basic Assurance | Individual Identity and IGC Agencies | Medium Assurance | Business Identity.
- Require that the applicant provide proof of identity and in the case of the business identity certificate, proof of organization affiliation.
- For your convenience, IGC | Basic Assurance | Individual Identity and IGC | Medium Assurance | Business Identity certificates can be purchased with or without a storage device (Smart card or USB token) according to your preference.
- Signed PDFs can be further protected via IdenTrust Timestamping Service free of charge Learn More about IdenTrust Timestaming Service
Simply select BUY NOW and the IdenTrust Certificate Selection Wizard will assist you in choosing a certificate that is accepted by FDOT and will also meet your business needs.
If purchasing a large volume of certificates for your company, please contact [email protected] as further discounts may apply.
Please note: ONLY THE SUBSCRIBER OF THE CERTIFICATE SHOULD HAVE EXCLUSIVE USE - THE DIGITAL CERTIFICATE IS YOUR FORM OF IDENTIFICATION, SIMILAR TO YOUR PASSPORT OR DRIVERS LICENSE. Under the Certificate Policies governing the issuance and use of certificates offered by IdenTrust, it is our responsibility as an Authorized Certification Authority to revoke the certificate in a case of loss or disclosure of the private key (Password) to anyone other than the subscriber.