Ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of data and communications exchanged with devices in the field
The Internet has changed the world. Now imagine the impact of the Internet of Things (IoT), when billions of devices are interconnected over the Internet. A lack of device security will have an immediate impact of unknown magnitude.
According to Gartner, by 2020 the IoT installed base will reach 26 billion units. When these billions of devices are integrated into our everyday lives or when they are connected to the Internet, they become vulnerable and susceptible to cyberattacks. Innovative security solutions are needed to protect these devices against cybercriminals. Using Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) proven technology, IdenTrust Internet of Trusted Things (IoTT) solutions can provide strong device identity authentication, data and communication encryption and digital signing.
Pioneering Trusted Digital Identities to Secure IoT Devices
IdenTrust is a pioneer in the use of trusted digital identities to secure IoT devices. Benefits include:
Certificates are used to sign transactions and encrypt data to prevent interception and modification of information.
Certificates are used to control access to devices and prohibit the origination of fraudulent data or communications.
Device certificates can be installed in your manufacturing facility before shipment or can be installed by a human sponsor in equipment on-site or in the field.
Certificates can be purchased individually via the IdenTrust website or for high volume issuance, certificates can be priced in an “all you need” model.
Use Cases for IoTT Device Certificates
The connected world increasingly requires identity and authentication of devices. Depending on the system, digital certificates for devices can be used to:
- Ensure integrity of communication and data streams between devices
- Protect the confidentiality of those data streams and the data stored in devices
- Authenticate devices and servers in the field by providing trusted device mutual authentication
- Facilitate device access control to allow for secure software updates to devices
- Ensure device software integrity through code signing
- Support static or dynamic credential provisioning
- Authenticate to cloud video management services, providing signed content such as a video stream
- Provide remote services around key management or rotation, software and application deployment and management of device date and information
Establishing the Internet of “Trusted” Things (IoTT)
With IdenTrust Device Certificates, users can rest assured that their Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem is trusted and secured. IdenTrust offers two (2) deployment options:
- IdenTrust offers a turn-key solution where individuals associated with your company and who manage devices go directly to the IdenTrust website to apply for device certificates. IdenTrust does the rest!
- Alternatively, IdenTrust can also customize a solution where you determine how little or how much of the certificate lifecycle you would like to manage. This is possible because our solutions are offered in an IdenTrust-hosted, Software as a Service (SaaS) model, including tools to manage the entire lifecycle of a certificate.
Offering Software as a Service (SaaS) Integration
The IdenTrust-hosted, Software as a Service (SaaS) model is typically used by high volume issuers. This robust, scalable solution allows your organization to provision certificates used for IoT devices. The solution includes:
- Registration pages
- Retrieval pages
- Access to the Certificate Management Center (CMC) that allows certificate holders and device sponsors to manage their certificates, including renewal, replacement and revocation
- Access to LRA Central, a SaaS based tool, used by your authorized employees to approve certificates and manage certificate lifecycle events