Open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) for IIS (available in the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack > Microsoft Internet Information Server > Internet Service Manager).
- In the MMC, expand the 'Internet Information Server' folder, and expand the computer name.
- Open the properties window for the website the CSR is for. (Right-click on the domain name and choose 'Properties')
- Open the 'Directory Security' folder.
- In the 'Secure Communications' area of this Property sheet, select the 'Key Manager' button and select "Create New Key..."
- Choose "Put the request in a file that you will send to an authority." Select an appropriate filename (or use the default).
- Fill in the appropriate details:
Click Next until you are done with the process. Click Finish.
Key Manager will display a key icon under the WWW icon. The key will have an orange slash through it indicating it is not complete.
- Fill in all the fields, do NOT use the following characters: ! @ # $ % ^ * ( ) ~ ? > < & / \
Note - If your server is 40bit enabled, you will generate a 512 bit key. If your server is 256bit enabled, you can generate up to 2048bit keys. We require 2048-bit key CSRs.
- Choose the 'Computers' menu and select 'Exit'.
- Select 'YES' when asked to commit changes.
When you apply for your certificate using our online process, make sure you include the text of this file (this is your CSR) in its entirety into the appropriate section of the application form.